The people and companies on this page come with strong recommendations. I used to have a broader list but I realized it wasn’t fair to recommend someone unless I have gone to completion on a project with them and would definitely use them again.
Real Estate Lawyers
- Bernd Allen – email@example.com – (212) 353-0040 x234 – our real estate lawyer (since ’98) – can’t say enough good stuff about him – DECADES of experience, well known and well respected, tough when he needs to be
- David Bodanski – firstname.lastname@example.org – (212) 561-8990 x201 – knows creative ways to insure shells (can save you THOUSANDS)
- Michael Stein @ Wells Fargo – email@example.com – coordinated our loan, highly recommended
Suppliers, Subcontractors, etc.
- Paul’s Plumbing Supply – 128 Greenpoint Ave, Greenpoint – 718-389-2873 – ask for Paul. They can get just about anything and their prices are as good or better than anyone else.
- Grant Supplies – 39-15 21st Street, Long Island City – when they ask if you have an account, just say you’re a cash account – pretty much the lowest prices you’ll find on electrical supplies/fixtures – they also carry plumbing (but I prefer Paul’s for plumbing).
- Smart Electrical / Robert Okuniewski – 646-637-3813 – the electrician who fixed things for us when we fired our first electrician.
- ABC Shower Door – Good prices, good quality for glass shower enclosures (hint: get the colorless starphire glass)
- BRP Spray Foam Insulation – Someone else said they had problems with them, but they were great with us – and your energy costs will be really low.
- Marino Tile – Yonkers & Astoria (we always went to Yonkers) – very helpful staff – we bought a lot of Laticrete products from them. Not sure how competitive their prices are, but they’re not unreasonable.
- Tiles By Kia – 35-53 Steinway Street, Long Island City – good selection of tile, nice staff, good prices
- Italian Tile NYC – 1958 Coney Island Ave, Brooklyn – 718-336-8453 – great prices, good selection (though a long lead time on mosaics)